Sunday, May 17, 2015

By the Numbers

Today's blog is a day early and a little shorter than usual. Today I celebrate my forty-eighth birthday and I'm thinking about what is encompassed in that number.

In the 48 years since I was born:

I've been an adult for 30 of those years.
I've worked a forty-hour job for 28 of those years (17 with Walmart.)
I've been married for 27 years and lived in New Mexico for 26 1/2.
I've been a mom for 21 years.
I've lived in 12 or 14 houses (depending on whether you count two moves back into the same house.)

It's easy to reduce a birthday to numbers, but the things that have made those 48 years so precious are the things I can't count.

My love for my husband and son and the joy they bring me.
Ditto for my family and good friends.
The satisfaction I find in my work.
The fun I've had in going new places, learning new things, meeting new people.
The pain and suffering and losses that have made me stronger and more grateful for what I still have.
The peace I find in all things, knowing now after all these years, that no matter what the crisis, everything will be all right.

I hope I have many more years to look forward to... there are many more stories to live and to write. This one has been pretty good so far!


2 comments:

  1. Excellent! How fun to read this and learn more about you. I think we have a bit in common, we're both hard workers for one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marilyn! You're an inspiration to me... I like to stay busy, too, but you make me look like a slacker! LOL!

      Delete