Monday, April 17, 2017

Announcing the Release of "A Summer to Remember"!

If you had told me twenty-five years ago that I'd be announcing the publication of my fifth novel...

I probably would have believed you.

I remember clearly the first day I sat down and tentatively began typing the first words of a novel that has yet to see the light of day (beyond my and my husband's eyes.) I had been reading books on the craft of novel writing, I had subscribed to both "The Writer" and "Writer's Digest", I had steno pads with lists of names and notes about a story idea. What I felt was a weirdly exhilarating feeling of fear and excitement. Could I really write a book? Could it be good? Would someone besides me read it? Would they like it? Would I get paid to do it?

It took twenty years to get to where I get paid for what I write. And even now, I still feel that same feeling of being scared to death and being on top of the world when I first sit down to write another book. What trumps that feeling is the feeling I get when I hold the finished, printed product in my hands.

Perhaps it sounds egotistical and presumptuous to state that, back then, when becoming an author, a novelist, seemed like a pipe dream, I always knew it would happen someday. It was probably more wishful thinking than anything else, but no matter how many times I received a rejection letter, no  matter how many times I struggled to get the words to say what I really meant, no matter how many times I felt frustrated, giving up was never an option. Because I knew--I KNEW--that someday, I would have a book published.

Those dreams never went so far as to having me win a Pulitzer... just the New York Times best-seller list. But even if that never happens, even if I never make a huge amount of money, even if I only have a small but dedicated group of readers, I've already proven that dreams can come true. It takes a lot of hard work, a lot of persistence and patience, and a thick skin. That's what took twenty-plus years to develop. But those were the tools I needed to succeed.

So on that note, let me introduce you to the fifth book in the Black Horse Campground mystery series, "A Summer to Remember"!

It's been a memorable year at the Black Horse Campground. But someone wants certain things forgotten....

After Bonney Police detective J.D. Wilder wraps up three cold-case murders, believing that the murderer was his former partner, he tries to focus on his personal life in his new hometown and his budding relationship with Corrie Black, owner of the Black Horse Campground.

When he receives information that proves his former partner wasn't the murderer, the case is reopened with the knowledge and urgency that the killer is poised to strike again. But who held a grudge against the three cold-case victims... and who is that person's next target? With the help of Bonney County Sheriff Rick Sutton, J.D. probes the memories of several Bonney residents who knew the victims and begins to make connections.


Then another death occurs and while J.D. and Rick are investigating, Corrie is attacked. The attacker and the cold-case murderer could be the same person, but Corrie's condition is critical and she's lost her memories of the entire previous year... including the identity of her attacker and even having met J.D. Will she survive long enough to remember what happened? Or will she end up as a memory and the murderer gets away once again?

Available in print from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Summer-Remember-Black-Campground-Mysteries/dp/1938436229/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1492377279&sr=1-1&keywords=bennett%2C+amy+m




No comments:

Post a Comment